New lessons from Matthew 2: 1-11
Magi... you may think of the 3 wisemen from the birth of Jesus right. Well, I have learned some new things about them that I didn't know before...Magi/Wisemen/Astrologers/
Truthseekers/Scholars
These men were from the Persian area of the world and were known to follow the trail of knowledge. They had heard of the OT and new that there was a king to be born and a star in the sky when the birth took place. God may have been speaking to them in a way that they could understand. They were astrologers. When the star appeared they decided to follow it. They knew the sign.
Do we always see the signs that God is using in trying to get our attention?
Do we miss them because we are to busy in life to take the time to stop and look around?
We have to follow after God as He reveals Himself to us and chose to do it daily.
Why didn't the scribes and chiefs in the passage choose to follow the star also? They new the OT prophecy very well. They decided to stay and not go see the birth the the King. They had the knowledge of the OT and they knew that He was the newborn King... yet they chose to stay behind.
Deut 2:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. 30 When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him. 31 For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.
Am I filling my head with the knowlege of the Bible and not doing anything about it like the scribes and the priests of the OT?
God sees through the self-protection and God wants to break through!
Did you notice in the the passage link at the top of this page that it doesn't say anything about there being "3" wisemen. Interesting...how over the course of time the Bible is taken out of context. Parts and peices are used to further on doctrines and cults. The whole Bible is the solid truth. It is the Living Word and each new time I read it... I learn something new.
"We three kings of Orient are..."
Deut 4:1-2 Hear now, O Israel, the decrees and laws I am about to teach you. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you. 2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.
Matt 2:11
They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
Gold- Will I offer everything I have been blessed with back to God?
Frankincence- The fragrant aroma of our praises fills the Heavens.
Myrrh- Will I take up my cross and serve him?
Is my heart desire true? God knows and there is no hiding from the truth.










1 comment:
thanks for the post...I'm going to re-read it tonight and do some thinking on it...I like the comparison to the old scribes and how they knew the word yet didn't do much with it..except become arrogant. Good post.
Post a Comment