Monday, November 26, 2007

Green vs Flocked?

I left my camera at the Turkey Day Festivities...
It is in the mail... so I can't post pictures of my Christmas Tree!!!
We went on Saturday to get a 7 foot Green Noble Fir. I wanted a Flocked Tree, but beggars can't be choosy. There were none there that were dry. The Head Flocker had only flocked a few trees and they were not dry yet. I could have risked the tag and bag all the way home... to open the tree to find all the branches glooped together because the pretty white flock wasn't dry yet. Not very fun. So we opted for a green tree. When we got married we had to figure out a 3 year rotation of green trees vs. flocked trees. I grew up with flocked trees and perhaps even a small tree in my room on occasion. Mr. D grew up with green trees. The rotation was flocked tree, lightly flocked tree, green tree. The years that were lightly flocked and green we had to go out and cut down the tree. The year that was flocked we got to go down to the family business and pick out a nicely shaped and manicured tree. We have pretty much stuck to the rotation.. give and take. Two years ago I was VERY prego with Miss D and we went out to the woods with friends to cut down the tree and it was a emotional disaster. We set out to have a great day with friends in the snow cutting down out tree. With great intentions the clan was on our way. We reached a point of trucks loosing 4 wheel drive, getting stuck in the snow and almost going off the cliff before I was ready to end this horrible trip.(although it was fun to be out with great friends in the snow). At one point I burst into the ugly cry because I was sure that my life was very close to sliding off a snowy cliff... my hubby and unborn child included. It was very uncool and I bailed from the truck ( with the emotional support of a close girly). We all came home without trees...save one family, because they were determined to cut "something"down. We came home and went to the family business to get a tree. That year the rotation went out the window. SO..... last year we skipped venturing out among the wilderness and just went down to the family business to get a tree. The same goes for this year. And as the years pass I'm growing to appreciate green trees. I've actually came across people who don't even know what a flocked tree is...? What a sad sad thing!!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Green all the way!

Kelli said...

You poor thing! Your memories of the event are not good ones at all! :) Funny thing is, we just plan on snow disasters each year so whatever happens is okay with us...we're headed out Sat. so wish us luck! :)